Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Album Review: KiD CuDi: Man on the Moon 'The End of Day'

I'm a fan of artists who step outside the box and attempt to create something rather than just manufacturing a product. Too many so called artists today just pump out track after track of the same song over and over and call it a different name like that scene in The Wire. Whether it be WMD or Firecracker, it's the same sh*t, just a different name. So when an artist actually steps outside the box and creates something different that tries to make a statement then it appeals to me. That is, if it good. There's a difference between Picasso and those crappy Hobby Lobby paintings in your doctor's office. Just because it called art doesn't make it good by default. Because lets face it, all art isn't good art.

KiD CuDi is an artist no doubt about that, and he has managed to churn out some very good and inspiring pieces. But judging at those individual pieces in consideration of his body of work then 'Man on the Moon: The End of Day' is the equivalent of a child's refrigerator drawing. It may not be Jackson Pollack but at least he's trying.

But I should consider this in the frame of what CuDi actually tried to create. This is supposed to be more like a movie than an album. He even recruited the actor Common to narrate it. So if 'Man on the Moon: The End of Day' was a real movie and I were Roger Ebert then this would have given me the heart attack. My colleague DJ Rahdu asked if it was a good heart attack or bad heart attack, and after pondering the absurdity of categorizing a heart attack in those terms, I responded by saying the kind of heart attack where I was smart enough to avoid the thing that almost killed me in the first place.

The album opens with CuDi singing in his nasally voice on 'In My Dreams (Cudder Anthem).' A song that is supposed to introduce the album's overall theme, of which I haven't figured out, and I wonder if his voice actually would be better served if he sang with auto-tune. It might have been better! The track is laughable at best, but if I did laugh I would feel bad because he sounds mentally challenged. And if he saw 'Tropic Thunder' he would know that you never go full retard. Yet he continues more nonsensical ranting on the tracks 'Soundtrack 2 My Life' 'Simple As' and 'My World.' It almost hard to be objective in judging his lyrical prowess because several times I found myself tuning it out and nodding along to the melody. The album is very well produced and if it was an instrumental lp it would be worth the listen.

But I don't want to want to be completely negative, its not all bad. The best songs on the album are coincidentally the ones that have leaked already. 'Solo Dolo' is one of the three where CuDi actually raps, just in case you forgot he knew how to do that. It's nice trippy ride and one where it's actually served by the singing. 'Sky Might Fall' is a nice cut where the singing also works. It has a nice catchy beat and hook. But the notable standout is 'Hyyerr' featuring Chip The Ripper, I'm surprised it's on this album, it sounds out of place. It the obligatory ode to weed song that's almost a staple on a rap album.

Overall, I think it's good that CuDi made the album and expressed his vision but that doesn't mean that we have to like it. But I do think that it will appeal to certain folks. Since CuDi considers this a movie instead of an album I guess its more like 'Twilight' than 'Madea' Sure you'll have a good following but real n*ggas ain't feelin' ya.

JayTeeDee Gives KiD CuDi 'Man on the Moon: The End of Day' 3 out of 7 Headnods

Head Nod Scale

1=Don't waste your time like I did mine.
2=Waste your time like I did mine but I dare you to disagree.
3=Well, there was the single.
4=If it were a hand in spades there's "two and a possible".
5=It's a "good" album. Meaning at least 3 or 4 solid songs.
6=Really Good Project. Has the "Rewind Factor" more than once.
7=The number of completion. Great Album. Instant Classic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home