Friday, May 15, 2009

Are You In? ~ De La Soul [Album Review]


So, I'm on Twitter (like everybody else) and I'm finding and following all my favorite artists. I come across @PlugWonDeLaSoul and of course I follow. Back before the good folks @ twitter/inc. decided to dispose of the feature that allows you to enjoy "one sided" conversations, I remember Plug Won going on and on with this dude about this project they completed for Nike. This guy was trying to convince @PlugWonDeLaSoul (K. Mercer) that they should have split this album into tracks. This originally sparked my interest...an album that's only one track...whoa. The same day, @Questlove states how the new DeLaSoul R.U.N. is like "manna from heaven!" and I knew I had to check this one out.
Let me say this about the project, it does make you want to move...run, do jumping jacks, get on a bike, or simply get your "jook on" at the crib using your iPod as a counter balance in one hand. Imagine if DeLaSoul made an original mix tape for you to get in shape to, melding all the songs together in "one track" that's 44 minutes 17 seconds long. Sounds pretty hot, huh? It is!
From the beginning with "Good Morning" with Raheem DeVaughn to the birds chirping at the beginning of the end with "Forever", all the way to the end, it's a definite needed heirloom to be added to any music lovers collection.
I give [Are You In?] by De La Soul 5.5 out of 7 head nods! (I took off an half a point because I'm stuck on tracks!...I am learning where my favorites are and am beginning to be able to find them but that's too much like work...but, then again...maybe that's the point, huh? You gonna work out one way or the other...hmmmmm?!?!?)
I'm Thed Weller and I approve this review.

*Head Nod Scale
1=Don't waste your time like I did mine.
2=Waste your time like I did mine but I dare you to disagree.
3=Well, there was the single.
4=If it were a hand in spades there's "two and a possible".
5=It's a "good" album. Meaning at least 3 or 4 solid songs.
6=Really Good Project. Has the "Rewind Factor" more than once.
7=The number of completion. Great Album. Instant Classic.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home