Tuesday, February 17, 2009

BLS Spotlight: Paul Mac Innes & T.B.O.I.

The Swedish duo of Paul Mac Innes & T.B.O.I. have released their self titled debut album stateside and I couldn’t be more pleased. The project was originally released (Japan only) in 2007, yet has that timeless sound that doesn’t allow it to sound dated in 2 years like some albums. Once you run down their collaborations, which include artists like Swell Session, Ernesto, Little Dragon and Bennson, you know that you’re going to be treated to the finest in UK Soul. The duo does not disappoint and grabbed my interest at their intro track, Welcome to the Bunker.

Björn Almgren aka T.B.O.I. (The Brother Of Invention) is already a well known Swedish jazz saxophonist and talented drummer. Great producer will be a credit added to his name if he continues to create tracks like he did on this project. T.B.O.I. keeps the sound of their album from becoming monotonous by composing slow, moody landscapes (Don’t Know Me Yet) to more mid-tempo numbers like Run Away. The tracks have such a crisp sound that, at times, it kept me wondering if some of the tracks were created using live instruments. Nevertheless, they are a great compliment to Paul Mac Innes’ vocals. Paul’s voice, which has been compared to everyone from Bilal to Amp Fiddler, is divine and adds such character to T.B.O.I’s tracks. He’s able to deliver vocals that are sugary sweet (Need) or funky (Choose Now) to suit the need of the soundscape that T.B.O.I. provides.

You can pick up Paul Mac Innes & T.B.O.I. at CDbaby, Amazon.com and itunes.


Paul Mac Innes & T.B.O.I. - Need

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home