Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Liberation Time!















Yesterday I got my hands on the new Badu cut, The Healer. I must admit, initially I wasnt (read: am not ) moved by her first single, Honey. The Healer, though, is the anti-commercial single that i was looking for, AND IT DOESNT DISAPPOINT. Produced by Madlib, it has that underwater esoteric vibe that you've come to expect from Ms. Badu who's sounded the clarion call, "We've ben programmed. Wake Up!" Speaking about Hip-Hop and giving a nod to Dilla (R.I.P.), this one will get heavy spins in the whip!


Erykah Badu - The Healer

There's one more person I want you to check out, Coultrain. This brother hails from Brooklyn and I was first introduced to him at The Soul Summit in Atlanta 2007. I knew then that this brother had a great style and that great things were headed his way. I discovered later that year that this brother was going to be the featured vocalist on the next Platinum Pied Pipers project, which was one of my favorite albums from 2005. Last week, while visiting my midwest opium den, Dusty Groove I discovered that his album was released and available for just 6.99. It arrived in the mail today and once again: NOT DISAPPOINTED. Produced entirely by Kenautis Smith, and written and arranged by Coultrain, The Adventures of Seymour Liberty sounds like a trip back to a time when you purchased albums instead of compact discs. Just check out "Lilac Tree" which ends like something out of a Maurice White and Phillip Bailey (Earth Wind and Fire)wet dream. There's also an element that reminds me of some of Leon Ware or Charles Stepney's (who actually died during the recording of EWF's Spirit album) best production. Coultrain's voice is reminiscent of Marvin Gaye on "Playin' Catch Up" and is one of those voices thats distinct to the point where once he's given his shot, you won't soon forget him. As Guru said, It's mostly the voice, but this brother also has the lyrical content to keep even the biggest incense burner pleased. You can also purchase The Adventures of Seymour Liberty from Coultrain's myspace page. My personal favorite is Green, it touched me when i saw him perform it live and it's even more potent on the disc. Get Liberated!


Coultrain - Green

2 Comments:

Blogger ChocLitLuvJoi said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 23, 2008 at 12:59 AM  
Blogger ChocLitLuvJoi said...

edited version of original post.Ha!

Where where where to begin. I'm like one of those people w/ a small poster board and 32 different colours of post-it notes overlapping each other. It's pretty though...
Imeem, I've come to the conclusion, does not like me! So to hear the tracks I wanted to 2nite I had to walk down the road, jump on a bus, find a taxi (the bus never waan go into that area), then borrow a bicycle for the narrow path.
So Coultrain... I went to his myspace page. In love w/ "Self Pity", it's the crooner in me I guess. I think it was the violin's still, then the drums and the background vocals. I like focusing on what no one's paying attention to. I feel you on Green; my reasons are... he's very airy, nice ad ethereal. The clarity is wicked! but then the girly girl in me fell in love w/... "No other exists for You, You're the yellow to My blue" Awwwww, as well as "if another cathches your eye, I'm green" a hint of jealousy doesn't really hurt. It IS a feel good song, makes me wanna put on round toe pumps and dance in a yellow dress!
Aright...so I tried HARD to disagree w/ you about Badu's Honey, but yah, not very great. I wonder what they had to pay her to make that her 1st single??? Sensimeenyah maybe? However, Healer is very Niiice. Cuz it's just so simple but yet precise. A xylophone, a cymbal, & some twisted sounds go a long long way. *are xylophones the new instrument to have?* PLUS, you know, hailing from where? Exactly, the opening foghorn set the pace...it sell off!
Have you listened to this Dude named Torae?? I listened to his album 2nite; Daily Conversation. Not bad but I expected more. Nice beats... the tracks I recommend are TaylerMade (throwback soultype beat) It's reminiscent of a slow ghostface track. Click's cool too..same reason. The best beat on the album I think is Get It Done (it may be recycled for all i know though).
RANDOMISMS
...Leon Ware, I can see your interest. [picture this] One of your mixes, using "Rockin You" as a transitional piece. I bet you he's one of Vikter Duplaix's influences.
...Do I have to move up North to get into cool events where I get to see Camp Lo for $12. Or must I be subjected to "Return of HipHop" parties where HipHop heads aren't even allowed?
... In honour of MLK day, everyone should read "What Would Dr.King Say If He Were an MC?" it's located @ okayplayer.com. It's hilarious but true. Excerpt; *I Have A Dream that one day Down South rappers, radio, and DJs will stop condoning mediocrity, acting as if it is just expression. No my friends. Wackness is just wackness, no matter how you slice it.*
~and on that note, Mi gone!

January 22, 2008 10:59 PM

January 25, 2008 at 1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home