Monday, February 1, 2010

BREAKTHROUGH ARTIST: TERRARD ROBINSON


 I love introducing new artists to BLS family and beyond. I'm an advocate for originality and feel good sounds. That's when I knew I had to post this artist up immediately. Terrard Robinson, a progressive funk/soul singer from Oklahoma (now residing in Portland,OR) is a best kept secret to me. He administers a sound that is reminiscent of P.M. Dawn and 90's soul. He reminds me of what made me fall in love with music and why people should really focus more on gift rather than the papes. When I asked Terrard who or what inspired him, he politely answered "Music itself inspires me. I appreciate music deeply because of what it does to my body and to people in general. Certain styles affect us certain ways. My family and friends inspire as well, but when i think about how music is everywhere and all around, it makes me want to be a part of it in a desperate way."
Spoken like a true artistic individual. Terrard started singing at the age of 11 or 12. Terrard was no stranger to musicianship considering his mom is a singer and his father is a bassist. According to Terrard, he is always working on a number of things, including his own solo project. He immediately ran down his pick of artists he would eventually like to collaborate with if given the opportunity which were Erykah Badu, Amel Larrieux, Raphael Saadiq, Coldplay, Little Dragon, and of course, Iman Williams and FSS.
Once you get a listen to Terrard Robinson, aspect to hear "Groove and soul. The sound of my ancestors and glimpses of my hopes for society and thangs..."

Terrard via Myspace

Terrard via Twitter

Terrard Robinson - Life's Good (Remix)

Terrard Robinson - Antidote for Loss

Terrard Robinson -Slow Groove (A Tribute to Dilla)

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home