Saturday, November 7, 2009

Another Heist / Camp Lo [Album Review]


"Let's get rich (What?!?!?) Luchini falling from the sky, this is it (what?!), the cheeky dimes the sugar dimes / Can't quit, (what?!)"...

If nothing else, you probably could come in on the "what's" and that used to be enough when you heard "This is it" by Camp Lo. Well, theeeeerrrrreeeee baaaaacccckkkk! Another Heist by Camp Lo is another hip hop incarnation of what it would sound like if two of the coolest dudes ever rolled all the blaxplotations films with some cryogenicaly frozen herb from 1969 and the lost episodes of Good Times into a musical Swisher. In other words they haven't lost a step.
From the title track 1 "Another Heist" to track 12 "Uptown/Remix", you'll feel how ever you felt when Camp Lo was in heavy rotation back in the day. This hip hop duo is famous for making semi-distinguishable slanguage as enjoyable as any song you really do know all the words too.
Instead of the "traditional" review, you know, which songs are hot and which songs are not, I thought I'd invite a dialogue. Let's discuss "growth vs. good" as it pertains to music. I was torn while listening to Another Heist. On the one had, I'm a fan of Camp Lo. I love this new album...but why? Because it's great new music or because I love the "type of music" that is Camp Lo? This dichotomy has inspired my fist bi-polar album review score. As a fan, I give Another Heist by Camp Lo 7 out of 7 Head Nods. It's EVERYTHING that I would expect from Camp Lo. Catchy hooks, hard hitting hip hop beats and really cool slanguage. If you're a fan, you won't be disappointed.
As an unbiased album reviewer, I'd give it 5 out of 7 Head Nods. This is a solid album. There are at least 3 or 4 solid songs your'e sure to enjoy. "Another Heist" (track 1) is classic hip hop. "Satin Amnesia" (track 3) is super mellow. With all that you hear in today's rap music it felt good to hear a smoothed out track. "Get Em Lo" (track 4) would be a good theme song if I ever heard one. The classic Camp Lo cadence can be heard throughout. You can just let this one ride. "Boogie Nights" (track 5) has a "Kanye-ish" feel for to the track (you know, sped up vocal sample, repeated break or bridge of a track, Kanye...the early years). It's funny how that some how sounds a little "dated" now, but I still like it. And "Beautiful People" (track 8) is stepping music and I wanted to find my cane and top hat when I heard it. R. Kelly would be proud. Give the album a listen and let me know if you found yourself torn as well.

I'm Thed Weller and I approve this review.

* Head Nod Scale
1=Don't waste your time like I did mine.
2=Waste your time like I did mine but I dare you to disagree.
3=Well, there was the single.
4=If it were a hand in spades there's "two and a possible".
5=It's a "good" album. Meaning at least 3 or 4 solid songs.
6=Really Good Project. Has the "Rewind Factor" more than once.
7=The number of completion. Great Album. Instant Classic.

1 Comments:

Blogger Thed Weller said...

i guess i could have just give in a 6 and been done with it... but where's the fun in that? ;-)

November 8, 2009 at 6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home