Thursday, January 15, 2009

Time is of the essence...

Birmingham singer, songwriter AND trumpeter Jaafar needs you to make some time and vote for him in ABC 33/40, Heinz and Herd Records' Original Artist contest. Jaafar's goal is to "regain and bring back the feel of soul music. Everything is turning to pop right now," he says,"even country music is turning to pop." Given Jaafar's voice & musical sensibilities, bringing soul back will not prove to be a difficult task.

Jaafar will also be releasing an album, Travel Light, tentatively February 20, 2009. In the meantime, check out these two songs Can You Make Time (which is entered in the Original Artist contest) and my favorite We Can Make It. Jaafar was also kind enough to let you take these with you, "I just want to share the music, man." Download the Travel Light EP HERE & make sure you tell a friend or 10.


Jaafar - Can You Make Time


Jaafar - We Can Make It

2 Comments:

Blogger girlie said...

After listening to these two tracks, I must say that this is truly a breath of fresh air!! Jaafar sounds like he really has something to say in this music world. Both lyrically and vocally mature, I'm absolutely smitten and I would definitely purchase his album!

January 15, 2009 at 7:51 PM  
Blogger Ms.BeatJunkie!!! said...

I love the rich, warm butter'd voice...The sound and the trumpets does brings back the genre of music I feel in love with...music has evolved so much...I dont think neo-soul is dead per sa, just evolved and fused with other genres.

This is one of my fav post on this blog, why you ask, because he's local, but more so because he is a very talented 'local'!

There is sooo much talent in Bham, but not enough platforms/support. I will mos def keep my eyes and ears open for him.

Thanks for the share. I'll be hitting him up soon!

January 16, 2009 at 9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home